Sanctioning is when your benefits are stopped for failing to do something you have been asked, by the Job Centre, such as attending an interview or completing an application form.

Top Tips

  1. Maintain copies
  2. Keep track of dates
  3. Ask us for advice

Who can be sanctioned?

You can be sanctioned if you’re claiming:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (and you’re in the work-related activity group)
  • Income Support

How can I avoid sanctions?

The best way to avoid sanctions is to do all the things that are set out in your claimant commitment or agreement. Here’s a checklist to help you:

  • Make sure you understand all your responsibilities

  • Ask your Work Coach or Jobcentre Adviser to explain anything that’s unclear

  • Let the Jobcentre know as soon as possible if there’s anything in your agreement that you can’t do and explain your reasons

  • Keep track of all the dates when you have to go to the Jobcentre and any other meetings you have to attend

  • Keep a record of all your activities that relate to your benefit requirements. For example, make a note of the time you spend looking for work and any jobs you apply for

  • Keep a copy of anything the Jobcentre gives or sends you

How can I challenge a sanction?

You can ask the Jobcentre Plus to look again at their decision to sanction you if you think:

  • They were wrong to sanction you
  • They have deducted the wrong amount from your benefit
  • They have given you the wrong level of sanction
  • They have reduced your benefit for the wrong length of time
  • If Jobcentre Plus refuses to change their decision, you can appeal against it.

How can I appeal against a benefit sanction?

You can contact our employment and money advice team on 0800 048 8955 or email ema.stafford@homesplus.co.uk or ema.shropshire@homesplus.co.uk for further help and support.

Inform ñNTR Benefits/Universal Credit

When your benefits are sanctioned, the Jobcentre will contact the council, who usually stop your ñNTR Benefit and Council Tax reduction until they have confirmation of your new income. Be sure to inform them of your sanction so your ñNTR Benefit and Council Tax support does not stop.

Apply for a hardship payment

A hardship payment is a reduced amount of benefit that you can apply for from the Jobcentre, if your benefit has been reduced because of a sanction. It normally pays 60% of your benefit payment.

To be eligible for a hardship payment, you must now be following the rules for getting your benefit.

Hardship payments of Universal Credit have to be paid back once the sanction comes to an end.

If you want to apply for a hardship payment, ask at your nearest Jobcentre.

Footer Angle